Monday, December 14, 2015

#Grateful


"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
 - Mark Twain

The birthday cake given by my bears (Ryan and the kids)


I never denied my age. When people ask me how old I am, I proudly say 36! (37 starting today). 

It's common for everyone to look back at the previous year every time we celebrate our birthdays. Looking back at my 36th year, I finally realized that I am not really ready to grow old. Well I have accepted that the fine lines on my face, the white hair, the occasional pain on the knee and back are all normal. After all, some people my age look worse than I am. Hehe! But there were some events this year that hit me so hard. 

  • Ninang sa Kasal. Two couples asked as to be godparents for their wedding. We felt honored but I cringed when I received the the invitations. Ninang sa binyag ok pa, pero sa kasal??? Ganun na ba ako katanda? I hope these couples chose us because they look up at our relationship as model of what that they want to become. And not because find us old enough to be their ninong and ninang.
  • Tita Joann. I asked a young mother to call me Ate Joann instead of Tita Joann. She has two kids. If she calls me Tita, then her kids will call me Lola. Nakakaloka!
  • Mama and Papa Getting Sick. Hazel and her family are waiting the approval of their application for immigration to Canada. Pinky and her family are residing in Qatar. Gemma is a permanent resident in Australia. By default I am going to take care of our parents. I got worried when Mama complained of pain in her feet. The doctor said the condition happens as a person ages. I am not ready if worse things will happen to them.
  • Rap and Raine entering puberty. I got sad when Rap got circumcised. I shed a tear when I was shopping for Raine's intimate apparel. This was the hardest to accept. I have admitted that I am getting old but it is very difficult for me to accept that the kids are getting old. (Shedding a tear right now). I know this situation will eventually come but I feel it was too soon. Ryan is taking it well but it is tough for me. I wish the bears could be babies forever.
Despite of these occasions, I am still very grateful. There were moments I felt low, but over-all it was a good year. Raphael and Loraine are doing good in school. Karina's milestones are way ahead her age. Ryan and I are going strong. We are quite secure.I could honestly say that I am happy and at peace.

I just wish I could sleep longer. I am missing the days when I could wake up with the sun so high in the sky. I also hope we can schedule a family trip. Ryan and I are always on superhero mode, and the list of villains are endless. So there's not much time to relax. 

http://staffordlakay.blogspot.com/2013_01_01_archive.html

Thank you to every one who made my 37 years of journey worth remembering and sharing. Love! Joy! Peace! to all! 

Live life to the fullest! J

Cheers,

Jong* 


 


3 comments: